[MUD-Dev] MMORPG Cancellations: The sky is falling?

Sean Howard squidi at squidi.net
Wed Jul 21 06:04:22 CEST 2004

"ceo" <ceo at grexengine.com> wrote :

> Or does your definition of community rely upon "everyone knows
> everyone else"?

An interesting question. I checked my little pocket dictionary and
it says a group of people living in the same place under the same
laws. I'm not happy with that definition as even within our own
legal system, not all laws apply equally to all people. And
obviously, you don't have to exist in the same physical place. I
don't think that's ever been true.

I would say a "meaningful" community is a collection of XXX with
similar community based ideals (not laws, but like them) where each
XXX can contribute to the community in such a way that all members
are affected.

The larger the community gets, the less one person can make a
difference.  But he can make a difference in his sub-community. That
sub-community could make a difference to a large abstract
community. I guess like cities to states to nations to planet.

So, XXX can be any abstraction of community, from individual people,
to collections of people, to collections of collections of
people. The more abstracted it becomes, the less important
individual people become and the less important it is to consider
their individual involvement.

- Sean Howard
www.squidi.net