[MUD-Dev] Re: CoH and others (was Cancellations: ...)

Michael Hartman michael at thresholdrpg.com
Fri Jul 16 19:58:51 CEST 2004

Mike Rozak wrote:
> From Douglass Goodall:

>> A minor point, but you could just as easily claim that CoH would
>> have sold 400k copies to 800k users.

> Online games have very low piracy (I assume nil) because even if
> the CD-ROM is pirated, the pirate can't play without a valid
> registration key (for the free month) and after that the player
> must pay the online-game company money. So, an online CoH that had
> 400K players over its lifetime would have sold 400K copies. An
> offline CoH that had 400K players over its lifetime may only have
> sold 200K copies, because the other 200K users pirated them.

This completely ignores the fact that the majority of gamers will
not even CONSIDER buying a game that has a monthly fee.

Ask an employee of your local PC/console game store how often he/she
has dealt with customers exclaiming, in disgust, "What?!?!? This
game costs $50 AND has a monthly fee?"

The business model of Guild Wars almost entirely depends upon this
widespread customer sentiment.