[MUD-Dev] MMORPG Cancellations: The sky is falling?

Michael Hartman michael at thresholdrpg.com
Fri Jul 16 07:33:42 CEST 2004

Adam Burr wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 01:21:44 -0400, Threshold RPG
> <business at threshold-rpg.com>  wrote:

> I think you might sell the enhancements short. The friends I have
> who play CoH (and have played EQ, SWG, and DAoC before it) love
> the enhancements system. As one of them said yesterday, "I don't
> for a moment think 'I wish I could loot that Helm of Goodness.'"
> The fact that the enhancements let's them tweak their powers to
> taste is a feature they _love_.

I think there is a big difference between disliking the "farm Mob X
for 50 hours for Loot Item of Uberness" and liking the outrageously
bland excuse for a loot system in CoH.

Honestly, there is nothing exciting about finding Accuracy
Enhancement (80% chance for the origin you aren't), level 37. Not
only is it no different in effect than the same Accuracy
Enhancements you found at level 1, but the odds are it is for an
origin other than your own (so you cannot use it) and of a level so
low you wouldn't WANT to use it.

In CoH, every 5 levels you run to a shop and spend 10 minutes buying
a full set of new enhancements. Then drops are simply sold for money
to be used at the next 5 level increment. After about level 20, it
is exceptionally rare that you find any enhancement you might want
to use.

Thus, the lackluster loot system gets worse and worse the more you
play.

Furthermore, since you can only carry 10 enhancements and since
there is absolutely no means of storage whatsoever, you cannot even
hold onto "good" enhancements for a friend or an alt.

I would be happy to go into great detail about the tremendous
inherent flaws in this system, but I'd rather not turn this into a
bash CoH fest.