[MUD-Dev] Revenues

Erik Zwerling ezwerling at ubi.com
Thu Jul 15 21:24:39 CEST 2004

Rafael Seabra [mailto:rafael at jynx.com.br] wrote:

> Which the best revenues beyond the subscribers in MMORPG?

I'm personally interested in the pay for item strategy recently seen
in Asian online offerings such as found in Gunbound by SoftFX and
Conquer by TQ Digital.

In this model, there are no regular subscription fees, but players
can pay real money to obtain in-game items/features.  For the
hard-core gamer, this is a fast way to improve your characters
and/or their possessions without having to go through the usual
leveling churn.

>>From the casual gamer (in # of hours spent playing per week)
perspective, this is a good way to get on equal footing with the
hard-core players without having to spend additional time.
Although, the flipside of this is that it may be harder to get
casual players to pay for the experience in this manner.  Unless, a
financial case can be proven that the 'bang for buck' is higher.

2 cents,
Erik Zwerling