[MUD-Dev] Re: Online vs Offline (was CoH and others)

Erik Bethke erikbethke at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 19:33:22 CEST 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:47:40 +0930, Mike Rozak <mike at mxac.com.au>
wrote:

> If the technology in a MMORPG were sold as a stand-alone game,
> would it sell more or fewer copies?

In regards to Asia, you do not even have to think about it - offline
games are completely, completely dead.  Movies are dying too,
Koreans and Chinese will never pay for product bits, you have to
sell service bits to gethe their money.

In Korea (where I am now) there is simply NO development of offline
games.  Only online and console for the US and Japanese market (tiny
bit).

Personally, I think the packaged game is a dead-end.  Piracy will
just get worse and worse.

God for online games.
-Erik