[MUD-Dev] Re: CoH and others (was Cancellations: ...)

Douglas Goodall dgoodall at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 12 23:22:04 CEST 2004

Mike Rozak wrote:

>     - Recently I heard that the software industry's official
>     piracy rate is 38%.  I assume game piracy is higher. I read
>     (online?)  one developer's comment that his game from the late
>     90's had a confirmed 7:1 piracy rate. In order not to be too
>     controversial, I'll assume a 50% piracy rate. This means that
>     while online CoH may sell 400K copies to 400K users, OFFLINE
>     CoH would have sold 200K copies to 400K users.

A minor point, but you could just as easily claim that CoH would
have sold 400k copies to 800k users.

I agree with the overall point, though, that even if CoH is a
failure over the long term (which I do not expect), they've probably
already made more money than they would with a single player
product.