[MUD-Dev] "USPs" (was: Warhammer Online Cancelled -- Why?)

Mike Rozak Mike at mxac.com.au
Thu Jul 1 04:01:12 CEST 2004

>>From Derek Licciardi:

> USP's are interesting in that they help make your marketing plan a
> bit more appealing but in today's MMO genre, they also tend to
> make your design much more risky.  Whether it's more content than
> SWG, better graphics than AO or some other more advanced game-play
> mechanic, today's investors are still scared of the Dot.com era
> and look up new ideas with a very healthy dose of cynicism.  So
> you say you're going to do it better for less money??  Yeah right.
> From an investment point of view, a unique selling point is a good
> thing but on the other hand it is a bad thing because it is not
> proven and flies in the face of risk management.

So the development team's hands are tied by their
investors... Investors shot themselves in the foot by throwing away
money to dot-com companies based on mere speculation - tulip
bulbs. Now they're shooting themselves in the other foot by creating
EQ clones. They must not undestand the dynamics of software too
well, since if they create an EQ clone, they're doomed to lose to
EQ, let alone EQII.

EQII itself is taking a risk with it's high-quality graphics and
animations.  If users aren't willing to upgrade their PCs, then
EQII's sales will be hurt in the near term. Long-term their decision
seems like a winner, assuming they have enough cash to hold out
until players buy the faster PCs (which they probably do).

EQII's use of high-quality graphics (and sound) is an interesting
strategic choice. Any MMORPG that requires a high-end graphics card
is taking a risk that users won't buy faster machines. But, any
MMORPG shipping after EQII will be taking a risk if they DON'T
include the same quality of graphics and animations that EQII
does. Only companies with deep pockets will be able to afford the
extra costs.

> One of our unique selling points is our justice system.  Ages of
> Athiria is attempting to implement a form of perma-death into the
> game as a tool for players to use to control grief play.  We
> market the idea that we can create an environment where being held
> accountable for your online actions truly exists.

If your USP is successful, how long will it take other MMORPGs to
impliment it? I don't expect a numerical answer; this is more of a
rhetorical question. Having worked for a large company, I'm a bit
paranoid about what large companies can do to small companies.

Mike Rozak
http://www.mxac.com.au