[MUD-Dev] Problems with current RPGs

David Johansson ica_david at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 29 22:49:16 CET 2004

Björn Morén wrote:

> Given a good design I predict anarchy to be the most uncommon way
> of living. I predict the exact same social interaction as the real
> world. With no evidence at hand I still predict beautiful things
> to happen. Am I a hopeless romantic?

As most of us adults who play in an online enviroment regress back
into something that reminds us about our long lost teenage youth, I
would without hesitation say that an anarchy as you are suggesting
would result into chaos.

One of the most famous book on the subject would be "Lord of the
Flies", By William Golding and I must say that the same phenomenon
can quite easily be traced in online virtual worlds.

I think you can quite easily pick out all the characters from the
book and place them into the MMO enviroment.

Ralph
"Ralph is twelve years old with blond hair, and is the most
charismatic of the group. He is described as being built "like a
boxer," and is initially chosen as leader due to his many positive
qualities. He maintains a conflict with Jack throughout the entire
novel, attempting to keep order whereas Jack isn't concerned with
it. Ralph and Piggy together represent the struggle for order and
democracy."

Jack
"Jack is about Ralph's age, with a skinnier build and red hair. His
freckled face is described as being "ugly without silliness." From
the very beginning, he seems to harbor emotions of anger and
savagery. At first, he is the leader of his choir group, who become
hunters as the book progresses. Finally, his savage personality and
ability to tell people wha they want to hear allows him to overtake
Ralph as chief."

Piggy
"Piggy is a short and overweight boy who wears glasses and
represents order and democracy. He is afflicted with asmtha and
doesn't care to do strenuous work on the island. He tries very hard
to cling to civilization, and tries his best to keep peace. While
probably the smartest boy on the island, he lacks any social skills
whatsoever, and has trouble communicating or fitting in with the
others. His glasses are a very important part of the book, as they
are used over and over to start fires. Piggy's constant polishing of
them shows his desire for clear-sightedness and civilization. "

Simon
"Simon is younger than the three boys above, but older than other
littluns. He is very good and pure, and has the most positive
outlook. He insist multiple times that they will get rescued, even
when Ralph is strongly doubting the possibility. Simon often travels
into his tranquil spot in the jungle, but also tries to help out
when it is needed. He meets up with a pig's head skewered on a
stick, which becomes known as the Lord of the Flies. Simon is killed
soon afterward by all of the other boys who were caught up in a
savage dance."

Roger
"A small boy with dirty and shaggy black hair, Roger represents pure
evil and wrongness, moreso even than Jack. He has no mercy, and is
the first one to intentionally kill another boy on the island when
he smashed Piggy with a boulder. He gets sadistic pleasure from
torturing a pig and other boys on the island. Roger is one of Jack's
most loyal helpers, and gladly carries out his orders. "

Sam and Eric
"Sam and Eric are two young twins who always travel and do
everything together. Without each other, they are incapable of very
much. They represent reliance and unity, and because of this become
like one person referred to as Samneric. While seemingly loyal to
Ralph, they eventually give in to Jack's threats and join his
tribe. While Ralph hoped otherwise, the twins in the end disclose
Ralph's hiding spot to Jack. The loss of civilization led them to
lose any real sense of loyalty to others."

Character descriptions taken from

  http://www.rit.edu/%7esjg2490/lotf/summary.html

Online games is highly interesting both from a psycological as well
as a sociological perspective and I think that in the future our
lovelly virtual communities will be the grounds for alot of human
behaviouristical studies.

So yes, I think you are a hopeless romantic, but the whole issue is
a very interesting discussion.

David