[MUD-Dev] Python script as stand alone MUD server...

Alistair Riddoch alriddoch at zepler.org
Thu Jan 29 11:14:50 CET 2004

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 09:26:39PM -0500, Sean Middleditch wrote:

> As to the poster who commented that Python wasn't capable of
> handling more than 12 mobs/players per server - your Python coder
> is clearly incompetent, no matter what you or he thinks.  Python
> server applications exist that handle loads no production MUD
> server would dream of handling today.

I suspec the problem was one of algorithmic complexity rather than
efficiency of our actual implementation. It was probably not
appropriate for me to be so specific given thay our server task is
very different from the traditional text MUD. The world model was a
single unconstrained 3D coordinate space, with several hundred
static objects, and some quite involved goal tree AI code. The
complexity of the problem degenerated very badly when the world
contained a number of actors all able to observce each other
actions, many iterating over a complex tree of goals every tick.

What I essentially wanted to get across was how much faster compiled
system programming languages can be than Python in certain
circumstances. My own measurements implied a speedup of about
100x. IIRC one of the chairs of the Python in Games roundtable at
last years GDC mentioned that a factor of 1000 was possible in some
circumstances.

Al
--
Alistair Riddoch