[MUD-Dev] [DGN] The psychology of random numbers

Vincent Archer archer at frmug.org
Wed Jan 28 09:19:01 CET 2004

According to J C Lawrence:

> The PR problem is the killer, not the distribution accuracy, and
> that's where the engineering problem definition comes in.  In
> general we're not engineering for statistically accurate
> probability models, we're engineering for something that is
> perceived well, and in general that means a system which appears
> unpredictable to the untrained eye for almost all small sample
> sizes, and which, if anything, "fails" to the player advantage
> more than it should.  "Appearing random" and "being truly random"
> are different problems with different solutions.

I think it is Dark Age of Camelot that has a "streak-proof" combat.
Basically, if you fail to hit a monster 3 times in a row, you're
guaranteed to hit the next time, regardless of the odds.  People
still swear loudly when they miss 3 times, but they don't curse you,
they curse bad luck.

	Vincent Archer			Email:	archer at frmug.org

All men are mortal.  Socrates was mortal.  Therefore, all men are Socrates.
							(Woody Allen)