[MUD-Dev] Python script as stand alone MUD server...

ceo ceo at grexengine.com
Wed Jan 28 01:03:27 CET 2004

Zach Collins (Siege) wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, ceo wrote:

>> I'm not evangelising Java here, but...you are aware that you can
>> download and view the complete java source, aren't you? (the only

>> The point is that Java is particularly good at fulfilling WORA,

>> WORA seems too minor a reason alone to pick a particular
>> language, so this isn't a reason to use Java rather than Python,
>> but just so long as you're making a valid comparison...  > Adam M

> In fact, swap Python and Java in these paragraphs, and there is no
> real change.

:) Fair point. However, my understanding (from other games devs, not
necessarily in MUD industry at all) was that Python was rarely
usable in these kinds of cases without a fair amount of "something
else" (usually C) for performance critical areas (nb: I realise I'm
only presenting a rumour here, and I only say it because it seems a
particuarly frequently described scenario. Perhaps the people who
have to do this are bad/novice python devs, I make no
judgement). This alters the WORA characteristics significantly,
although on a good day with a following wind it's probably
imperceptible.

But for some things where you might end up dropping to C, e.g. for
asynch I/O, you're still seriously platform-dependent IIRC
(e.g. availability of windows asynch libs on other
platforms...?). That's perhaps a bad example; I'm fishing for better
ones, or robust explanations of why I'm completely misguided :).

Adam M