[MUD-Dev] Python script as stand alone MUD server...

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Thu Jan 22 22:33:46 CET 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 01:46 -0500, Jason Slaughter wrote:

> I am wondering if there are any issues I am not anticipating with
> using Python? I am also wondering why there isn't more excitement
> about Python in the MUD community (am I just caught up in the
> Python hype)?

There shouldn't be any.

> Of course, being a scripting language, it will be slower than
> compiled code, but is that really going to be an issue? It seems
> to me the bottleneck in a mud server would be in the game logic,
> not in the lower level server/socket stuff (and the game logic
> would ultimately come down to Python scripting even if I compiled
> the server using C++, and used Python only for scripting)... so I
> would say that as far as speed goes, the loss won't be crippling
> at all

Proper design, as always, can result in a Python app which is much
faster than an 'equivalent' C app.  Honestly, most of the bottleneck
on modern processors is in things no language can get around, like
memory access speed and I/O.

> (and it would be worth spending an extra $1000 on a faster server,
> at least, if it means saving a 100+ hours in programming and
> debugging).

you'll be saving a hell of a lot more 100+ hours.  try months or
years worth of man hours.

> What are some other issues that I have to think about using
> Python?

Make sure you're familiar with Python before starting.  Don't let
your first large Python app also be your first non-toy Python app.
You'll pay for it later when you have to come back and redesign many
various bits for cleanliness and maintainabiliy.

AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.