[MUD-Dev] Congratulations Horizons...

Lee Sheldon lsheldo2 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Jan 19 14:04:51 CET 2004

Daniel Harman wrote:

> Traditionally with expansions, the reviews seem to arrive in
> magazines sometime after it has been released to the public. I
> guess with an online medium its hard to sit on a complete
> expansion for the magazine lead time (a month+?) when it could be
> helping profits now. Then again most expansions seem to only ever
> be partially complete when they are released anyway...

> Then again with smaller additions such as new races or areas, I
> guess the investment is a lot smaller so perhaps it is workable.

It's being done in Horizons right now. I wrote a more complete
report elsewhere in this thread, but the result to date is that two
different servers have unlocked new zones and content, and will not
run into any of the Asheron's Call runaway shard problems.

It isn't such a major leap, as you suggest. But as Richard suggests
in his book, we are plagued with people blindly repeating the
paradigms of the past without really knowing why. It can't be much
of a revelation that this type of "thinking" doesn't lend itself
much to innovation!

Lee