[MUD-Dev] New MMORPG from the Army

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Wed Jan 14 22:42:45 CET 2004

On Jan 14, 2004, at 1:37 PM, Dave Rickey wrote:

> From a design point of view, I find it interesting how they make
> the griefing impulse explicitly part of the system.

This is actually not too surprising.  It's become part of the
standard training frameworks to have live players acting as the
opposing force (OPFOR in DoD-speak) in a war game or training
exercise, and all of the US services are pushing the value of
virtualized training exercises--they are lower cost, and can
incorporate simulated effects that are impractical to duplicate in
live exercises.

After all, guerilla warfare is basically live action griefing, from
a certain point of view.  Maybe this project will result in
anti-griefing strategies that can be applied to games ;-).

Amanda Walker