[MUD-Dev] New MMORPG from the Army

Dave Rickey mahrinskel at brokentoys.org
Wed Jan 14 12:37:01 CET 2004

From: "Amanda Walker" <amanda at alfar.com>

> http://www.mt2-kmi.com/articles.cfm?DocID=358

> If anyone knows of additional published information on this, I'd
> be interested in a pointer.  I'm familiar with military
> distributed simulations, but this is the first time I've run
> across an effort to do a purely virtual environment for this
> purpose...

>From a design point of view, I find it interesting how they make the
griefing impulse explicitly part of the system.

  "Carefully designated role-play aggressors, terrorists and other
  adversaries at keyboards worldwide will think like an enemy and
  provide opposition to user/players. They will be encouraged to get
  nasty, be treacherous and do their worst."

Elsewhere in the article they mention these agressors will be
retired military, paramilitary, and "paid contractors" (current
military jargon for mercenaries).  Now, the military structure
around this will reduce how much it could get out of hand, I
suspect, but it's still a remarkable example of taking what is
normally considered a problem, and turning it into an asset through
clever design.

--Dave