[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev Digest, Vol 7, Issue 9

Sheela Caur'Lir dstgasey at webhiker.dk
Thu Jan 8 19:29:19 CET 2004

From: "Freeman, Jeff" <jfreeman at soe.sony.com>
> From: Paul Schwanz [mailto:pschwanz at comcast.net]

>> I'm still not sure why we have it in for camping when players so
>> obviously like to camp.  Or why we have it in for farming when
>> players seem to prefer to farm.  Why don't these facts cause us
>> instead to come up with better ways to help players enjoy camping
>> and farming?

<snip to the interesting part>

> End result is about the same (and I agree the players do enjoy the
> gathering/farming/camping/ranching aspect of the activity), but I
> think the fictional trapping could be improved.

> So the play is the same: You kill monsters in a dungeon and get
> loot (which players enjoy).  But fictionally, in the one case
> you're just killing monsters for the loot.  In the other case,
> you're killing monsters to prevent them from getting the loot.

This does indeed sound like a good plan to me.

It's sorta like walking into that big bad Orc camp and try to get
the keys from the slavemasters so you can free the captives they
have in their dark dungeons. It makes you a hero for the slaves, not
just a killer of Orcs.

> For what it's worth, I agree with the design philosophy of looking
> at what players are doing and improving that experience, versus
> trying to erect roadblocks to steer the players toward what we
> think they should be doing instead.

If it works, then yes - absolutely.

Offcourse, no plan survives first contact with battle, so it's hard
to say how well it would work out. It is still a good philosophy
though.

---
Jens L. Nielsen
(aka. Sheela Caur'Lir)