[MUD-Dev] levels (was: ghost mode)

Thu Jan 8 11:18:37 CET 2004

J C Lawrence <claw at kanga.nu> writes:

> Note that I am explicitly not distinguishing between singular
> level values and complex skill mesh/distributions.  They're both
> levels, just in different clothing and variant numbers of bells
> and whistles.  In the complex cases humans tend to reduce the
> complex values down to a singular expression in a single linear
> scale.

If skills, faction (and in the case of AO: perks) are levels, then
they are mutable (skill resets, buffs, tutoring etc) and
multidimensional... Plus, in AO I believe there is a new type of
levels with another type of XP at higher levels. (shadow
levels/knowledge). This is just an eldergame though.

Not though, that proper levels (XP based) create opportunities for
new types of eldergames. Say, in AO people create twinked characters
that they freeze at certain levels in order to have optimal
configuration and level-attack-range for tower-wars (PvP). (Replay
value, goal for camping, group effort etc) If you are allowed to go
down in level then you break this game...

>   5) other surrounding metrics can partially supplant, support,
>   and amplify any new definition of "level".  The assumption of
>   singularity is not necessary.

It is not neccesary but ease player-player communication. I.e. in
team building you ask for "level and profession", and even that is
bothersome... I am not in favour of levels, but if you have them and
knowing about them are essential: make communication about them
easy.

I wish more games would factor in character age (with some
requirement to regular attendance, 1-2 times a week). Is UO doing
this?

--
Ola - http://folk.uio.no/olag/