[MUD-Dev] Character Restraint & Capture.

Matt Mihaly the_logos at ironrealms.com
Fri Feb 27 02:20:52 CET 2004

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Paul Schwanz wrote:
> Matt Mihaly wrote:

> City leaders could grief anyone by legalizing PK against them?  So
> the system didn't have some sort of territorial element to it?
> I'd think that this kind of justice system would require some
> notion of city-owned territory in order to be viable.

Sure, there are territorial elements to cities, but that's not
really relevant to why the system the original poster proposed will
fail to achieve its purpose.

> Thus, giving black marks against a character would serve as strong
> incentive for that character to stay off of the issuing city's
> territory, but that's hardly the same thing as a global license to
> PK.  Provided that there are plenty of other territories available
> to the player, I cannot see how this would equate to griefing.

And then how does this have any effect? If you can just stay out of
these other cities at minimal inconvenience to yourself, where is
the justice?  How does this help control PKers who are offending
other players' out-of-game sense of justice?

It doesn't. It provides for some potentially interesting mechanics,
but it does not address the issue the original poster was concerned
with at all, which is fulfilling an out-of-game sense of justice (ie
you shouldn't be able to kill me over and over just because I'm a
dwarf. I am, after all, paying to play your game.)

> And in a good-sized world, if every city issues black marks
> against a particular character, it seems to me that it is probably
> that character who is the griefer, not all of the cities and their
> leaders.

So then how is that an effective system at all? If it's not an
inconvenience to be legal PK within a city, how does that help stop
rampant PKers? I mean, if someone is a big enough asshole that
virtually every city in the game says, "Go away" why haven't the
admins banned that player already?

Player justice systems are a total misnomer. All any system I've
ever seen proposed or implemented can/has accomplished is to assist
with roleplaying. They never have much to do with the out-of-game
sense of justice that basically says, "I shouldn't be unduly
harrassed just for existing in this game world."

--matt