[MUD-Dev] Re: Character Restraint & Capture.

Craig H Fry craigfry at iname.com
Wed Feb 18 16:23:50 CET 2004

From: "Jester" <jester at futuremmorpg.org>
> Character Restraint & Capture

> I've been mulling this one over for some time; I am considering
> implementing a system whereby a character can be restrained,
> and/or captured by other players. I fully understand that unless I
> get this 100% right it will be universally hated, so I thought I'd
> get the views of this list's members.

I can see this opening yourself up for all kinds of liability
problems. With a mature, rational client base it would be no
problem.  Give them a tool to kidnap people and the first thing your
going to see are female characters getting kidnapped left and right
and forced into doing all kinds of degrading things to get released.

Capturing NPC's may be a different method to achieve the same goal.
You capture an NPC who runs the city militia.  As long as he is
being held by you the town militia dwindles into disarray.  To
protect the town, they must hunt you down and free the leader.

On a side note, one of the best EQ adventures was a bride being
kidnapped at her wedding by a GM and us needed to delve into a
dungeon to rescue her.  (She gave permission and actually came up
with the idea so it wasn't against her will).