[MUD-Dev] How much should be offloaded to Scripting?

Dan Larsen mortinmonikt at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 10 18:05:16 CET 2004

A little backstory...

I'm working on a hobby game atm, text-based and driven by an
object-oriented scripting language.  I'm sure I'm not the only one,
but my scripting language is now up and running, as is the network
layer of the server itself.

Now, my question is this.  How much of the game should I offload
onto my scripts, versus hard-coding it in the server?  If any of you
are familiar with TADS (Text Adventure Development System), the
language is comparable to that, which means I could implement my
entire parser via script, as well as my world and interactions.
Basically, my server could be totally ignorant of what a 'room' or
an 'actor' or the command 'say' is.

But does it make more sense, both architecture and performance-wise,
to shift at least some of the logic to the server itself (written in
C)?  For example, letting it parse and dispatch commands, the vast
majority of which simply trigger script events.  This saves the
scripting language from having to parse, and doesn't cost much
flexibility, but it is limiting in some ways.

Ideas?

Thanks,
   -Dan