[MUD-Dev] SMOG - small multiuser online game

Tom Tom
Thu Feb 5 09:08:23 CET 2004

Tuesday, February 3, 2004, 11:58:44 PM, Byron wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 20:46, Crosbie Fitch wrote:
>> From: Byron Ellacott

>>> And, if you can arrange a connection for Player 2 to hear Player
>>> 1 in near-realtime, you can use that connection to transfer the
>>> static world data also.

>> Good point.  But, small steps man.  Let's walk first. (unless you
>> have 5 million smackeroonies or so)

> Most FPS engines support automatic map downloading these days.
> The Unreal engine, at least, also supports portals, and one of the
> suggested uses of portals was going through a doorway to discover
> oneself connected to a different server.  This sounds a bit like
> what you're aiming for?

> Unfortunately, I didn't follow up the leads on the Unreal portal
> technology.  I'm fairly sure it was never taken to the extremes it
> could have been taken to, though.

Technically it is possible to construct a map that supports a link
to another server. For all practical purposes you can't use the
technology unless you're willing to host the server yourself,
otherwise you're going to have a lot of unhappy campers who go
linkdead when they run through a door to a non-existent server.

Everything that has been discussed in this thread so far is
possible, and there are several MMO game designs that could take
advantage of this type of technology very easily, and perhaps should
:)

Regards,
Tom "cro" Gordon
CEO, AlienPants Ltd