[MUD-Dev] RE: Randomness

Alex Chacha achacha at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 3 19:14:04 CET 2004

David Kennerly <kennerly at sfsu.edu> wrote:

> Since I haven't been keeping up, may I ask: Have you considered
> selection without replacement?  And compared the two?

Replacement is very good for single player games where you can keep
various arrays of shuffled "card" decks.  When dealing with many
users on one server, I always lean towards formula based concepts to
reduce processing time.

This whole thing spawned from modeling human learning as a
tradeskill system.  Without too much detail, there are 3 memory
types I modeled long term, short term and mechanical.  Long term is
modeled by the player's skill in a given trade, minimum skill is
based on mechanical memory where you know how to do something
without much thought and short term memory is modelled by the
adaptive RNG, you learn from your immediate mistakes and it may help
improve long term/mechanical memory but in the immediate situation
it improves your success slightly with every trial within limit.

I have found that trying to model randomness against human learning
given the system a very realistic feel, a lot more than just rolling
a die to see if you win or lose based on hard limits.