[MUD-Dev] UI Design in MMOs

Mike Rozak Mike at mxac.com.au
Thu Dec 23 22:32:42 CET 2004

Derek Liccardi wrote:

> I'd have to agree with Paolo here.  If there is one thing Blizzard
> has always done well, that's intro movies.  Diablo II, Warcraft
> III, and WoW all have serious production values.  The movie got me
> excited to play the game.  It was enough to make me eagerly
> anticipate the patch download and such.  Alas the interface to the
> game did it in for me and I'm not much of a fan of the cartoonish
> style graphics.  But the intro movie is not topped in the industry
> IMHO.

I've obviously been outvoted here; more people like the video, so as
a marketing decision, the video makes sense in the product.

It's interesting to note that you like the video, but disliked the
cartoonish style graphics of WoW. Doesn't the video seem like false
advertising then, showing one quality and style of graphics, while
the game uses another? It's like computer games in the 1980's that
would have a hand-drawn picture of a hero on the box, and tiny
little black-and-white icons representing the character in the game.

Mike Rozak
http://www.mxac.com.au