[MUD-Dev] DESIGN: Why do people like weather in MMORPGs?

Mike Rozak Mike at mxac.com.au
Wed Dec 22 05:37:25 CET 2004

Raph Koster wrote:

> My experience is that players whinge at anything that
> inconveniences them. :)

I suppose I was expecting this answer, although it would be nice if
it weren't true and that someone had some anecdotal evidence to the
contrary.

> A lot depends on which gameplay god you are worshipping. If you
> worship "easy in, easy out, quick to fun, fast feedback," which is
> certainly the deity du jour, then the above are anathema.

If meaningless night and weather is "du jour", I suspect I'll do the
opposite. My general rule is that if the major MMORPGs are doing it,
I'll try to do the opposite and find a niche market. (As long as the
opposite isn't a stupid thing to do.)

Mike Rozak
http://www.mxac.com.au