[MUD-Dev] Distributed State Systems

Davion Kalhen davionkalhen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 07:04:58 CEST 2004

This is the first time I've posted on MUD-Dev but I've recieved it for
alittle while now. But why not use a signal handler and use a style
like Erwin's copyover? I've used it for alittle bit now and it works
nicely. But mostly your looking at a bad idea. Segment Faults occure
mostly when data is accessed outta bounds, if by chance you happen to
try to save that data while the MUD is going down, nothing but bad
juju there, and you'll wind up with loads of currupt data. Like
players titles being random ansi characters :P. We don't need that!
All and all, I just don't think thier a good idea if its because your
mud crashes on a regular basis. There's also problems with crashing
while copyingover, but there's easy fixes for that. But think about
it, if it could be done, wouldn't Micro$oft do it, so Windows never
crashes? I don't mean to bash your idea.

Davion