[MUD-Dev] Better Combat (long)

Matthew Dobervich matthew.dobervich2 at verizon.net
Sat Aug 28 03:44:35 CEST 2004

Raph Koster wrote:

> We see the young coming up with far greater knowledge of games
> than we had, mostly--and we're probably mostly from the first
> generation of kids who grew up with them. It's got greater
> cultural penetration, and they have greater fluency in the basic
> vocabulary of it. The result has been the adoption of game tropes
> in other media, as is to be expected. But it also suggests that
> the games that those kids create will likely be ones we can't play
> anymore than our parents can manage Quake. Given that games are
> fundamentally formal constructs and not, generally, communicative
> media (unlike other art forms, which are generally communications
> *mediated* by formal constructs) that may mean that videogaming
> may be headed down the path trod by chess and go--towards elites
> and no mass acceptance.

> Online worlds are just as subject to this as the rest of games,
> except insofar as they provide scope greater than mathematical
> puzzle solving.

Darn it.  Just as soon as I'm ready to write you off as a crackpot
simulationist who doesn't understand game design, you say something
really lucid like this.  :)

I'de be interested in hearing you expand on this thought.  Could you
start by defining "videogaming" toward the end of your first
paragraph here?