[MUD-Dev] PVP and perma-death

HRose hrose at tiscali.it
Wed Aug 25 03:43:50 CEST 2004

Ola wrote:

> Really? I'd rather have systems which allow a variety of play
> styles and let the player tailor the in game situation to his
> preferred playstyle.

Well, you obviously don't know me but I'm one of those that doesn't
believe in "playstyles" and "player types". Those are
mystifications.

Nothing exists before you create the game. The players play the game
after it is created and finished. They react to it depending on what
you offer. I don't give a damn of what a player wants to do before
knowing and trying a game because he cannot know what the game has
to offer before seeing it.

It's like making a movie asking the peoples what they want to see
before going to the cinema. Peoples don't want to be satisified,
they want to be surprised. Noone should expect something from a game
before being in it.

The discovery of something new is way stronger than the discovery of
what you expect. There was no playstyle or player type before the
first game was created. Game "genres" didn't exist before the games
themselves. We didn't have first person shooters before Wolfstein.

So, there's a rule. Genres, play styles and player styles happen
*after* the game, not before. If someone wants to create the game he
should know that his work settles before those consequences. Do not
mess consequences with causes, this world has a logic.

It's the designer that tells the player how to play through the
game. Not the player that tell the designer what he wants to do.

-HRose / Abalieno