[MUD-Dev] Casual Crowd vs.Time Rich Crowd [was: Time Debt]

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Tue Aug 24 23:51:20 CEST 2004

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 16:03:36 -0700
David Kennerly <kennerly at finegamedesign.com> wrote:

> You might want to consider a different metric than time logged on.
> The player is content.  As long as she's not harassing or macroing,
> each hour she spends in the community increases the value of the
> service.

There's a curve of diminishing returns there.  The first player is worth
a lot.  The second player is also worth a fair bit.  The 100th player
isn't worth quite as much, and the N thousandth is worth even less.  Do
we have a decent idea what the real shape of the curve is?

> For example in Dark Ages, I designed a labor economy to encourage
> casual play and regulate rarity.  Some tasks, in politics, religion,
> crafting, and questing, require labor.  Labor is only replenished by
> each new day, or through having someone labor for you--thereby
> transfering their labor to you.  So the global labor pool is linear
> function of characters per day.

Cute.  I love starved resource economies.

--
J C Lawrence