[MUD-Dev] Casual Crowd vs.Time Rich Crowd [was: Time Debt]

Stephen McDonald smcdon03 at ase.tufts.edu
Mon Aug 23 16:25:01 CEST 2004

William Leader said (regarding time debt):

> Anyway the conversation as I have watched it this far is seems to
> center around the question: "How do we level the playing field
> between casual and non-casual players?" This is based on the
> assumption that this disparity should be leveled.

While there has been some discussion of leveling the playing field,
I would point out that I considered this to be merely a side effect
of the time debt concept, not a primary motivation.  I had two main
motivations when working on the idea: the amount of time players
have to spend doing repetitive and often boring things, just to get
at the content or activity they enjoy, and at the same time, a lack
of percieved value in activities which usually take little or no
time in most game.