[MUD-Dev] Better Combat

David Kennerly kennerly at finegamedesign.com
Tue Aug 17 23:46:37 CEST 2004

Douglas Goodall wrote:
> David Kennerly wrote:

>> Downtime exists when and only when a system forces a user to
>> remain idle, because the system disables all desired operations.
>> Thus waiting a significant amount of time (say a couple minutes
>> or more?)  for a carriage is downtime (if travel is the only
>> current desire);

> I wouldn't put a limit of "a couple minutes" on the amount of time
> before it becomes downtime. For me, it becomes downtime as soon as
> I notice it, which is single-digit seconds in most cases.

You're a man with a mission!  Does a City of Heroes subway delay of
3-5 seconds, during animation of the next subway arriving, bother
you?  :)

Anyway, I get your point.

Thereby, a loading time of a few seconds is also downtime, albeit of
only a few seconds.  That makes sense.  The player is obviously
forced to remain idle while the zone is loading.

David