[MUD-Dev] Time debt

Darkwolf darkwolf at neo.rr.com
Tue Aug 17 16:24:59 CEST 2004

Jason Lai wrote:

> The way I'm planning on implementing time debt in my MUD -- in
> order to discourage people from playing for a ridiculous number of
> hours a day -- is to allow people to play with minimal penalty as
> long as they aren't on for, say, 10 hours in a day. The penalty
> will be having to drink lots of caffeine ;) After 10 hours, your
> character starts suffering harsher penalties including suddenly
> falling asleep. In-game sleep and not being logged in will both
> recover the time-debt; the former lets you chat out-of-char.

The problem I see with that is that it penalizes people with odd
schedules.  If I can only play 3 nights a week, but on the days I
can play 12h/day why should I be penalized beyond what someone who
plays 8 hours per day 7 days a week is penalized when I'm playing 20
hours less? (I use the 3 day example above is because I worked 4d x
15h for close to a year and its a good example in this instance.)
The problem with artificial systems like this is that they always
end up screwing over someone.  I don't understand why some people
have a desire to punish the biggest fans of their game by limiting
their play time.