[MUD-Dev] Better Combat

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Thu Aug 12 17:32:47 CEST 2004

On Aug 11, 2004, at 6:29 PM, Paul Schwanz wrote:

> It seems to me that in this example, freeing up her hands to chat
> involves a better UI design, not additional game-created dead
> time.

Indeed.  "Down time" where I have to do busy work (drive around the
world) is much less conducive to socializing than down time where I
can ... well ... socialize.  Good example: World of Warcraft's
gryphons (hippogriffs, actually, but that's another thread).  Travel
between towns isn't instant, like a teleport, but you don't have to
drive the gryphon. Horses in DAoC worked similarly.  For short hops,
total travel time is not actually a whole lot less than running, but
I find it a lot more socially useful.  Auto-run might also work
nicely for downtime if it actually did path following ("run along
this road to the next major stop" rather than "run in a dead
straight line and get hung up on the first bump in the way").

Amanda Walker