[MUD-Dev] Better Combat (long)

David Kennerly kennerly at finegamedesign.com
Wed Aug 11 07:09:02 CEST 2004

Hi Zach.  Thanks for the explanation.  I'm not sure I follow one
point:

Zach Collins wrote:

> A player decides to learn the 'disarm' skill.  The skill is
> practiced up (a random disarm animation is downloaded to be
> displayed during the required practice time and others gradually
> streamed in as bandwidth constraints allow), and then tried out in
> battle.

Does the disarm animation have to be downloaded from the server to
the client?  If so, does each observer of this player then, in turn,
also have to download the disarm animation from the server?  Is it
prohibitive, because of the huge number of combinations, to include
the animation on the client installation?

David