[MUD-Dev] Re: MMO Communities

Brendan O'Brien tazzik_dystrian at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 10 16:51:24 CEST 2004

Matt Mihaly wrote:
> Brendan O'Brien wrote:

>> From a business standpoint, this could be considered a success.
>> However, from a design standpoint, I believe it is a failure.

> But the -entire- purpose of the design of EQ is to make money. I
> don't see how it can be a business success and not a design
> success.

I seriously doubt the truth of this statement.  I can't speak for
Brad McQuaid or anyone else on the design team that developed EQ,
but I have to believe they were trying to do more than just make a
quick buck with the game.  I know it has received a lot of criticism
for the way it fosters "addictive" behavior (Evercrack?), but do you
really think that they sat down at each meeting to figure out the
best way to turn a profit with every design decision?  At some
point, they must have considered things like the "fun factor" and
ways to advance the genre.  Besides, I seriously doubt the idea of
"multi-boxing" was expected to become much of a factor at the time.

I would expect most designers to hold themselves to somewhat of a
more lofty ideal than what you suggest, similar, in many ways, to an
artist.  When I read the various thoughts and musings of guys such
as Raph Koster, I have very little doubt that he is out to do more
than just turn a profit.  Sure, you always want to do that as well
(can't stay in business long otherwise), but why make a statement
suggesting that nothing else really matters?  It is quite possible
to fail at what you are trying to do, even while you make money
based on your efforts.  I believe a good designer *should* be trying
to do more than count the pennies.  You need to let the accountants
earn a living too...

-  Brendan