[MUD-Dev] Re: MMO Communities

HRose hrose at tiscali.it
Tue Aug 10 08:16:14 CEST 2004

Michael Sellers wrote:

> If retaining more subscribers for longer is a goal, one of the
> best ways to do this is to provide an environment that strongly
> encourages social interaction and bonding.

I agree. What I'd hope is that the designers won't translate this
into a three-months hole/timesink in the design to make happen this
interaction.

What is fun is that they choosed to not design to encourage this
social interaction. Add a timesink here, add another
there. Non-design for the win! The solution for the best game ever
is to not implement the game at all! The game is so empty that
you'll have to chat with someone to find some sort of fun. Clever!

Perhaps someone will take IRC, rebrand it and add a monthly fee of
12.99$? A genius!

I really think that the instant you make a player turn the head to
watch TV or start to chat about politics or football, you have
*failed* in your work big time. Same if someone yawns watching a
movie. A defeat, not a success.

You know, I'm so stupid to think that you can encourage social
interaction WITH the gameplay. And not without it.

-HRose / Abalieno