[MUD-Dev] Re: MMO Communities

Michael Hartman michael at thresholdrpg.com
Sat Aug 7 07:07:48 CEST 2004

Byron Ellacott wrote:

> Anecdotally, I don't believe it has ever worked to keep me playing
> a game, either.

> The original quote, from
> https://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2004Q3/msg00243.php:

>   Raph Koster wrote:

>>    We may not like it, but all empirical evidence at the moment
>>    seems to show that requiring cooperative team play for success
>>    causes greater retention.

> Raph, or anyone else, could you clarify which empirical evidence
> has shown this, or offer an alternative explanation for why this
> is so?

I would also love to hear about the empirical evidence, but until
that time, I can share my own experiences in running my company and
in playing MMORPGs as well.

In games where I have become part of a guild, or where I have had to
forge strong relationships to accomplish goals, it was a LOT harder
for me to quit. Hell, my DAoC account is still active despite the
fact that I haven't actually played in at least 6 months. The
thought of completely abandoning my friends in Hel Maor and Siol
Lear (two guilds I am a part of), the Fist of the North alliance, or
the realm of Midgard is tough.

For Threshold, I have definitely found that every effort I make to
build community has improved retention. When people feel like
quitting the game is similar to giving up one's friends, it is a lot
harder to quit.