[MUD-Dev] Re: MMO Communities

Michael Sellers mike at onlinealchemy.com
Wed Aug 4 02:25:55 CEST 2004

Ola wrote:
> "Michael Sellers" <mike at onlinealchemy.com> writes:

>> Raph can certainly speak for himself, but I suspect that his
>> empirically founded argument will point out that you're talking
>> relative numbers: for every one person you alienate with a
>> requirement for cooperative team play, you retain some multiple
>> number of people who really like it and are more likely to stick
>> around because of it.

> Hm. Not sure why you want to require cooperative team play. I am
> not at all certain that intrusive designs is what most casual
> players would crave for. The better solution is to design the
> reward systems so that solo-play is a valid activity while looking
> for interesting people to team up with and make substantial
> pay-offs for teaming up (40% more XP for all, or something
> similar).

I didn't mean to say that cooperative play should be forced; I did
mention a 'requirement' for cooperative/team play, but there's a ton
of good ways to do this without the players feeling forced into this.
At the risk of blowing my own horn, see

  http://www.gamasutra.com/resource_guide/20020916/sellers_01.htm

Solo play is a valid activity, but not one that catalyzes long-term
player retention like group-based play does.  Also, solo gameplay
seems to me to be much better explored than group-based gameplay.
You're right that you don't want to have people frustrated because
they can't form a group or find the right people, but in terms of
the overall game it's a question of which is the preferred mode: do
you gain more benefits and have more fun alone or in a group?  Right
now the balance is often tipped toward solo play, or a few bonuses
are given for grouping together.  IMO a lot more can be done for
team/group-based play that will make it much more attractive to the
players.

Mike Sellers
Online Alchemy