[MUD-Dev] forced grouping/coop play

Tamzen Cannoy tamzen at worldbenders.com
Sun Aug 1 01:59:07 CEST 2004

At 9:33 AM +0100 7/28/04, Tom \"cro\" Gordon wrote,
> Paul Schwanz wrote:

>>  In other words, when I hear players complain about forced
>>  grouping, I don't believe their real complaint is that there
>>  should be no benefit for cooperative team play.  Rather, I
>>  believe they are complaining about the lack of alternatives that
>>  will require the lower degree of social effort with which they
>>  are comfortable while still letting them connect to a community.
>>  If maintaining the sort of social bonds required to reap the
>>  benefits for cooperative team play seems like a chore to them,
>>  they will solo, they will complain, and eventually they will
>>  leave.

> Here's a third alternative, and the one that applies mostly to me:

>    I don't have the time to get involved in forced grouping.

And here's mine. I am a 48 year old woman who, with the exception of
people who are already my RL friends, has nothing at all in common
with pretty much the rest of the player base on the WoW beta. I hate
grouping except with people I already know. I find the behavior of
the player base appalling for the most part. They don't speak
English, can't type and have a huge number of assumptions about
other players which don't fit me at all.

I've never played any MMORPG before, since I've spent 20-40 hrs a
week for decades Mushing. I'm on this mostly because this one has a
Macintosh client and my husband is playing which means we can do
things there together.

But I do find it frustrating that I *can't* advance or do harder
things by myself sometimes.

There's also a technical difficulty in that my machine is a bit old
(original Tibook) and so has a marginal video card which works fine
most places but get a group of more than 4 or 5 with me and I get
2-3 frames per second which makes me pretty useless and apt to get
fragged easily. :) I suppose I have to update the Powerbook.

--
---
Tamzen

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or
that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only
unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American
public."  -- Theodore Roosevelt, 1918