[MUD-Dev] Playing catch-up with levels

ext.Christer.Enfors at tietoenator.com ext.Christer.Enfors at tietoenator.com
Tue Apr 27 14:51:52 CEST 2004

Vincent Archer wrote:

> Then why not work with that? Take the best of both worlds: a full
> freeform skill based system *with* classes and level?

This is an excellent idea. I'll keep a copy of this article as
reference when working on my MUD. The idea is a similar to mine, but
not exactly the same. My idea involves player-created "classes", in
a free form skill system. It wouldn't require the intervention of
the dev team, since players would be able to create the classes on
their own.

I was thinking I should let players hire NPC trainers, and then
define which skills (not just one skill) this trainer would teach.
The player (or guild) would then charge money from other players (or
guild members) for access to this trainer. Thus, the player has in
effect created his own class. If it's good, he'll even be able to
profit off of the access charges. A military guild could boast "we
give our members access to a Swordsman trainer, a Spy trainer and a
Healer trainer at a discount!". The trainer would also incur costs
for its owner, so in order for the owner to make a profit, the skill
set (read: template) he gives his trainer has to be good enough for
other players to want to pay for).

--=20
Christer Enfors, AKA Dannil