[MUD-Dev] Playing catch-up with levels

Steven King steve at madrogue.com
Tue Apr 27 12:24:17 CEST 2004

Travis Nixon wrote:

> Some players just hate it when you hide so much that they have no
> control.

Yeah, this thought also entered my mind as I was writing.  A friend
of mine plays AO with spreadsheets, a calculator, about 15 webpages,
and skill/item programs just to keep track of what he's doing.
While this is fun for him (6-8 hours a weekday and 18-30 hours a
weekend, geez), it wouldn't translate very well into a
hidden-mechanic system.  I can definately see a use for some kind of
gauge to show the player his progress, but including measurements, I
believe, leads to grinding.  IMO, the point is to play the game, not
the system.

Steve