[MUD-Dev] Playing catch-up with levels

Steven King steve at madrogue.com
Mon Apr 26 15:06:40 CEST 2004

cruise wrote:

> Several games, with more on the horizon, are offering the much
> simpler "use it or lose it" skill system - what you use improves,
> what you don't degrades.

> So if you find the longsword isn't working for you, just pick up a
> shortsword and wave it around, and gradually your skills will
> change.

> This also fits better with useability ideas (ie. the best
> interface is never seen) - players don't even have to know what
> skills are coded in, and what the numbers are. They just wander
> around, doing what happens to take their fancy, and those things
> they particularly like, they improve at.

> No classes, no complicated skill-trees to scare off
> newbies. Provide a few templates or sets of starting equipment for
> those who need some guidance, perhaps.

This method is one that would definately model real-life and open up
a good system for advancement.  All characters start as a 17-year
old punk kid with a clean slate and many opportunities.  All skills
are available, and you are limited only by your willingness to
learn.  As the character matures, his skillset becomes more focused
on the skills that he uses the most often.  Should the character
have a change of heart and decide that his wild days are behind him,
he could start doing more fishing and less swordfighting.  As time
passes, he finds that his sword has been on the shelf more than at
his side and it feels awkward in his hand.  His fishing pole,
however, feels like an extension of his arm and he's caught
record-breaking fish.

This method of skill advancement allows the player to tailor their
gaming experience to their liking.  They would still be able to
master swordplay and fishing if they wished, but would have to
devote equal time to both, keeping the skills fresh.  I can still
see a tendancy toward "grinding", but the fluid nature of the skill
system makes sure that each character reflects the playstyle.

With this system, experience points would be an invisible game
mechanic.  The player just knows that as long as he's challenging
his character's abilities, he'll be improving.  NPC trainers should
not exist, since you wouldn't be "spending" points.  Players should
rely on other players to enhance their training.  A group of
swordsmen wandering the countryside would advance together.  The
low-skilled character's skill would rise faster to the point where
he catches the group after a long while.  An apprentice system of
sorts.

SWG's skill system is alot like this, except there is a cap on the
number of skills you can advance and skills don't degrade if unused
(unless you count selling skills back).  In that system, the game
mechanic is visible to the player, which can be a driving factor:
The player knows how much he needs for the next mark, then tries to
achieve it.  It would be interesting to see how players would react
if the mechanic was kept invisible (or at least transluscent).  Out
of sight, out of mind.  Have fun, don't worry about how it works.
Your character will be more accurate the more he uses his sword, and
will cause slightly more damage since he knows the best way to
slice/jab/etc.

I would think, however, that some skills would require (or work in
conjunction with) others, which would lend itself to a skill-tree.
It would still be invisible, though, and the players could play
without calculators.

Steve