[MUD-Dev] DESIGN: Active and Inactive currency

Rayzam rayzam at travellingbard.com
Sat Apr 24 00:10:04 CEST 2004

From: "Freeman, Jeff" <jfreeman at soe.sony.com>

> If you tighten the money faucet or the dough faucet (or open 'em
> both wide-up), the cookie makers will still accumulate cash,
> either more quickly or more slowly.

> It seems to me that the problem there isn't the faucet at all.
> But how do you address it?  All crafters will take any cost or
> drain that you throw at them and use that to establish a base
> price, charging everyone else that plus a little more, and
> therefore accumulate cash.

True. Manufacturing shouldn't be a money losing proposition, or
noone would do it. There should be some level of upkeep for
facilities and whatnot, but again, that won't change the fact that
there's a profit margin on each cookie. I suppose that I'd expect
the cookie maker to be spending that cash on other goods: new sports
car, putting the kids through school, a Rembrandt for the house,
subscriptions to all the latest MMORPGs.

I admit defeat! If the cookie-maker with the profit margin doesn't
want to engage in any other trade, then the money is inactive cash,
that is in effect, taken out of the game temporarily. It could still
flood the market and ruin the economy. Other than this
cold-war-nuclear-factor, it's a drain.

Any way to provide incentives to not hoard cash?

    rayzam
    www.travellingbard.com