[MUD-Dev] Playing catch-up with levels

Zach Collins {Siege} zcollins at seidata.com
Fri Apr 23 16:03:45 CEST 2004

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, cruise wrote:

> This, perhaps, would be an excellent use for player-driven quests.

> Alice and Bob can create a quest or several, if needed, to quickly
> bring Candice up to speed. I'm well aware of the various abuses
> possible with such schemes (and which were thoroughly debated
> recently), but I thought it would be worth mentioning as an
> excellent additional use for such a system.

This spurred an idea which has been sitting in the back of my mind
for player-generated quests.  If you want to create a quest, it
costs money to instantiate the quest itself (tokens may be purchased
for building the quest script and/or instantiating a quest zone),
requires resources to create quest items, and experience buys
content on a 1:1 basis.  You want a dragon which dispenses 25000 XP
on death?  Pay that much to buy the dragon, then place it in your
quest zone.  Know enough scripting to give the quest an alternate
ending - say, the dragon can be convinced to just give you the quest
item instead?  Doesn't cost anything.  Want the quest item to give
XP when first found?  Pay for it directly.  Want the item to be a
good weapon or piece of armor?  Gather the resources and find a
blacksmith to forge it.

Of course, the item creation system I've been thinking about is its
own little game of resources and rituals for the imbuing of power,
which then spurs the smith/mage/alchemist/whatever to go find more
resources, spend their own money, perhaps get some friends together
to handle the forge and/or chant for a few minutes....

--
Zach Collins