[MUD-Dev] Playing catch-up with levels

Kwon J. Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Thu Apr 22 09:57:03 CEST 2004

Amanda Walker wrote:
> On Apr 21, 2004, at 4:53 AM, Ben Hawes wrote:

>> In general, I really think the old level-up, rigid-class RPG has
>> had it's day. It was fine for pen-and-paper RPG's, which
>> naturally have to limit their game mechanics somewhat to make
>> them playable by people without a degree in mathematics. Now we
>> have computers doing the sums, there are better ways, IMHO.

> Well, I don't know if I'd throw the baby out completely with the
> bathwater here, despite being on record as thinking the level
> grind is properly viewed as a bug :-).

> d20 games are fun.

I'm in a wierd position of agreeing with both of these views.

Computers are capable of handling MUCH more complex systems than d20
used, however d20 introduces several ideas and concepts which should
be kept.  I also agree that the "rigid-class" system is a bit
out-dated, and could use some sprucing up.

That said, you need to maintain a comfort level for your
players... almost all games use some variant of the D&D system, and
that is what people are familiar with.  What you replace it with,
should "hide" most of it's additional functionality behind a
familiar facade.

I've taken alot of people to some VERY fun games that I've
played. However, because it didn't feel like what they were used to,
most didn't stick around long enough to learn the game.

That said, what is it about classes that makes them so appealing?

Basically a class groups skills together in a meaningful way.
Because of this, they can be used by a player to "judge" other
player's abilities.  Additionally, they allow a player to choose a
"class" based on what role they prefer.

There are many more reasons, but these are the first that came to
mind.

I almost always choose a cleric, endurance is more important to me
than being able to deal damage.  Often I advance by providing a
support role to other characters... most important, also as an avid
pker, my ability to survive is more important to me than my ability
to kill.  Often I end up with a kill/death ratio over 10 to 1.
(sometimes muds over 100 to 1) Being a cleric often gives me more
options than classes that deal more damage...

A friend of mine almost always chooses a mage class, and yet another
prefers to be a warrior... these are roles that a rigid-class system
encourages, and makes very clear...  We each have our own comfort
zone, and the class we choose reflects what we are comftorable with.

That said, classes aren't very flexible... when you see a "warrior"
you can generally guess what their abilities are... especially if
you've played the game for a while.

Even though the computer can (and should) handle the math, the
players still need information to make these decisions...

The real question should be... how can I improve upon this without
breeding infamiliarity?

Honestly, as per the thread... I don't think a difference in level
matters in most games.  Low-level chars should have a role in
whatever ventures are out there.  Perhaps they're not in the front
fighting the mobs with the high level chars, but I've often used
newbies to run errands for me in return for "rewards" aka, better
equipment, cash, information on where to level.

The extra effort required to bring a newbie up to speed is often
repaid many times over in the effort and time saved by having extra
help when needed.  If you're too impatient to help your friends help
you... then well, you probably never noticed this.  I've risen to
the top of many muds by capitalizing on the newbies.  They've often
risen with me because of it.  In many cases I was the newbie being
helped.

-- Kwon J. Ekstrom