[MUD-Dev] Playing catch-up with levels

Ben Hawes cruise at casual-tempest.net
Wed Apr 21 08:53:33 CEST 2004

Craig Huber wrote:

> My question is, why does the vast majority keep circling back to
> the class/level/hp paradigm in spite of the aforementioned
> obstacles?  Is it a case of "Better the devil you know..."?  Is
> there a sense that there are no other titles/paradigms that have
> merit?  Is there evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, that D+D's
> hallmarks of narrowly defined roles and geometric (if not
> exponential) power growth are "what the typical player wants"?

Possibly, and I agree that some new concepts are well overdue. You
might want to check out Darkfall Online, which is going with a
level-less, class-less system, which sounds very promising.

In general, I really think the old level-up, rigid-class RPG has had
it's day. It was fine for pen-and-paper RPG's, which naturally have
to limit their game mechanics somewhat to make them playable by
people without a degree in mathematics. Now we have computers doing
the sums, there are better ways, IMHO.

--
	"quantam sufficit"
[ cruise / casual-tempest.net / transference.org ]