[MUD-Dev] DESIGN: Active and Inactive currency

baar at imperian.com baar at imperian.com
Wed Apr 21 08:24:46 CEST 2004

From: "Ian McDonald" <ian.mcdonald at bbc.co.uk>

> Of course, Real World economies use interest rates on moneylending
> to regulate their economies as well. But I suspect moneylending
> would be abused by players: has anyone got it to work in their
> games?

I haven't seen coded moneylending, but I did RP a character at one
point that did some loan sharking. He'd make sure to get some sort
of IC written proof of the loan with a third party witnessing
it. The witness essentially had to also get a copy of the proof. The
witnesses were always characters that held an official
orgposition. There were a few defaulters and they ended up paying
with all the penalties.  Of course the character that did the loan
sharking was a bit of an imposing character in the eyes of those he
was willing to lend money to. The problem is that people can just
transfer the money to a third char and go dormant and you'd never
get anything back, so you are correct that abuse would be rampant
most likely.

DAvid