[MUD-Dev] Kaczynski's Law

Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt hhs at cbs.dtu.dk
Thu Apr 15 11:25:38 CEST 2004

On Thursday 15 April 2004 02:13, Freeman, Jeff wrote:

> which failed to find any reliable method of putting players in
> boxes, defining them as 'player-types'. Rather, he found five
> distinct motivations for playing games that people possessed to
> lesser or greater degree. Furthermore, that people who strongly
> identified with 'achiever'-motivations weren't really less likely
> (nor more likely) to identify strongly with the
> 'socializer'-motivations, etc.

I believe we have touched briefly on Nick Yees excellent work
earlier, but it does not hurt to reiterate it a bit.

I think that the very way he statistically processed his results
called for a motivations study rather than a player-type
study. Besides, my belief is that a motivations study may be more
usable than attempting to box in players. Instead you have a player
'profile' describing each players focus

on each motivation. You could then potentially cluster players
according to profiles, and see if there were distinct clusters
revealing which aspects you should cater to in the game.

>  Here's someone taking a slightly different approach. It is closer
>  to Nick Yee's study, in that it doesn't assign people to
>  mutually-exclusive 'types', but still quite different in which
>  motivations are deemed important. This begins with what I like to
>  call Kaczynski's Law:

What I'm wondering is where is your source of this Kaczynski's Law?

--
--Hans-Henrik St=E6rfeldt