[MUD-Dev] [News] Virtual goods--Oh, the controversy!

Vincent Archer archer at frmug.org
Wed Apr 14 08:27:39 CEST 2004

According to Amanda Walker:

> I quit both EQ and DAOC because, despite having many friends in
> the game and on the same server, I could never overcome the 3
> month head start they had.  I would have been a much more loyal
> customer of

Ditto. At least for DAoC. I made the mistake of stopping play for 10
months.  Once I rejoined, I was 27 and all my friends were 50. We
couldn't group together most of the time, they were busy in the
frontier doing RvR at a level which would have slaughtered me if I
had come there.  I was playing a bit, but most people around didn't
want me (a hero) in groups, so I had to solo.

After 6 weeks, I gave up in disgust, and went back to EQ. Where I
had left a level 60 character before Planes of Power, which took 2
weeks playing with another set of people I knew to "catch up" (I
could and did group with them during the time).

That's a problem with level-based segregation of content. The
content is separated, but the playerbases are as well.

	Vincent Archer			Email:	archer at frmug.org

All men are mortal.  Socrates was mortal.  Therefore, all men are Socrates.
							(Woody Allen)