[MUD-Dev] [News] Virtual goods--Oh, the controversy!

baar at imperian.com baar at imperian.com
Tue Apr 13 19:49:11 CEST 2004

From: Matt Mihaly <the_logos at ironrealms.com>

> Well, in my experience, that's highly incorrect regarding the
> grief play.  The people who go the buying route are MUCH less
> likely to be troublemakers than the people who did it via time. I
> don't know if that's because the people who buy things via time
> tend to skew to a younger demographic or what, but in almost every
> case, the bigger the customer the less likely he/she is to engage
> in grief play.

I have to agree, even though I've seen a number of people with large
investments jerk around enough to lose use of their characters for a
period of time or permanently.  This may very well be contributed to
the fact that since they have a monetary stake in their character,
they don't want to lose their investment by causing so much trouble
that they are removed from the game altogether. This is where the
all-important Terms of Service can be especially useful to the game
publisher.

David