[MUD-Dev] [News] Virtual goods--Oh, the controversy!

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Tue Apr 13 13:53:43 CEST 2004

On Apr 12, 2004, at 11:53 PM, Paolo Piselli wrote:

> IMO, a player who has 'purchased' their character with logged time
> is more likely to contribute to the long-term health of the game
> in many ways.  OTOH, it is concievable that a player who has
> 'purchased' their character with money is more likely to grief
> play, demoralize players who cannot afford to buy power, and
> otherwise negatively impact the long-term health of the game.

On the other hand, many non-griefers want to play with their
friends.

I quit both EQ and DAOC because, despite having many friends in the
game and on the same server, I could never overcome the 3 month head
start they had.  I would have been a much more loyal customer of
both if I'd been able to enter the game at a higher baseline.  Sure,
I wouldn't have known as much about how to play the game, but I'd
have been able to let my friends teach me the ropes instead of
soloing for months in Faydark or Hiberbia before giving up in
complete boredom, while hearing my friends talk about all the fun
they were having that was closed off to me simply because I arrived
later.

Amanda Walker